Friday, March 30, 2007

This is what happens when I try too hard to be friendly

Me (finding my beloved super sour boiled sweets tucked away on a high shelf in the only shop that stocks them): Ah, I was beginning to think you'd stopped stocking these. Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if you had stopped stocking these.
Lady at the counter: Oh.
Me (jovial): Yeah. I mean, because they're so intense.
Lady at the counter (looking past me for other customers, any other customers): Oh. I haven't tried them.
Me (fixed, rictus-like grin): Oh. Well. They're very intense. Very sour. When a friend asks for one and I share, they always try it and then look at me like I just killed their kitten.
Lady at counter (increasingly alarmed): Have a nice day.

Killed their kitten?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sort of thing happens to me frequently. I think I'm developing into one of those scientists who is so focussed on the research and the scientific writing and has become unable to remember how to communicate in normal human language. Fortunately, my friends have small children, with whom I can communicate by blowing bubbles and making clicking noises with my tongue.

03 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home