Monday, January 22, 2007

If only we could choose not to have parents


Well, that's the weekend over. Yes, it was about as bad as I thought it was going to be. No, I'm not going to talk about it. Not here, anyway. But for the very reasonable price of...oh, I don't know, a small beer...a large number of tedious anecdotes can be yours. But wait, there's more! Ring now and get a free impression of the way my father-in-law hocks mucus from his nasal passages into the back of his throat, landing with a wet splat against his tonsils!

Heh. That should ensure that none of my phones ever ring again.



It's Blog For Choice day today, it being the anniversary of Roe v Wade and all (and yes, I do realise I am not American, thank you very much, but there wasn't an equivalent decision in Australia; the law is state based, varies a bit, but allows for abortion on request in every State and Territory subject to various time-based restrictions). So, anyway, the topic is Why Am I Pro-Choice, and I can't think of anything at all to say. Not because I'm not, but because I can't imagine being anything else. It's rather like explaining why I'm pro-oxygen.

So I'm going to wimp out, and let these people do the talking for me:
Bluey The Body Rights Thingamabob explains the concept of inalienable bodily rights.
Bitch Ph.D on choice, and why "the fact that abortion is even a debate in this country demonstrates that we do not trust women".
And The Onion, just for the hell of it.

Updated 23/1/07: now that the US feminist bloggers have all got to this, I wanted to add:
Jill at Feministe who provides the best round-up of facts and resources I've seen so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home