Monday, July 30, 2007

In Which Our Heroine Contemplates Growing Up

Okay, first, I wasn't kidding about the chest infection, nor the resulting abdominal strength. So it's all good. What's three days off work, a nose so sore and red that one of my nostrils cracked and started bleeding and a total inability to hold a conversation for two weeks, compared to marginally flatter abs?

I got over it a couple of weeks ago, in the end. The illness, not the sarcasm. So where have I been? In the office, mostly, covering for those colleagues whom I infected and subsequently took to their own beds. It's been quite the fortnight.

Basically, I've been neglecting the blog for so long that I seriously considered just giving it up. I mean, come on, I missed my own one-year anniversary. And if I don't have the time to self-aggrandise, what's the point?

But fear not, my incessant need to talk endlessly irrespective of any audience has overcome once more. There will be blogging – oh yes, there will be blogging.

Ah, people, people. I can't be funny today. I am tired, and stressed, and my life seems to have skewed so far in one direction that I can barely remember what 'work-life balance' is anymore. And I know that the answer to that is to force myself to spend time on good healthy things and not on – just to pluck a totally random and practically hypothetical example from the air – drinking too much wine and watching three episodes of Boston Legal back-to-back.

(I jest, I jest. I don't have time to watch anything longer than The Daily Show most weeks, let alone three hour-long episodes of James Spader goodness).

So I'm facing hard truths, I guess. If I want to have the energy to keep living like this, I need more exercise, better food and less alcohol. And the only way I can fit in the exercise without abandoning the husband to long nights on his own is to get up at 5.30 and get to the gym before work.

Either I'll fail, in which case – well, nothing new there. Or I'll succeed, and I'll be one of those people who gets up at 5.30 am to get to the gym before work, eats apples as 'a treat' and doesn't drink. Because hey, everyone wants to hang out with that person, right?

I'm not sure which sounds worse. Let's find out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the need to watch the alcohol consumption, but I absolutely refuse to get up at 5:30am to go to the gym. In fact I refuse to go to the gym full stop, but then I dance as my primary social activity so it tends to solve the lack of exercise problem without impacting on my social life.

I may be coming over on the 17th and have lost you email details as usual, could you email me your availability for that weekend?
*looks sheepish*
Cheers
Nat

08 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home