Monday, October 02, 2006

Sense and sensibility...well, not so much that last bit.

People, I don’t know what to tell you about this weekend except that it’s been non-stop hedonistic indulgence.

There have been very few moments in the past three days where I haven’t been either drunk or hung-over. And I hope to God Jason’s right about not having to diet on weekends, because whichever hand hasn’t been holding a glass of alcohol has been shovelling Brie, chocolate or sashimi into my mouth. Orgiastic is not the word.

Which ties in nicely to my question of the day:

If you had to lose one of your senses permanently, which one would it be?

I’m incredibly short-sighted, and not to sound over-dramatic but I already live with the possibility of losing sight, and it would be devastating. Somehow I doubt that there are enough books in Braille or in audio form to keep me satisfied, for a start, and trust me, you don't want to be around me if I'm out of reading material.

The loss of taste would be useful from a weight loss point of view, but I don't want to live in a world without the subtlety of a ripe avocado, the zinginess of lemon-grilled haloumi, the hot rush of wasabi. And not to be able to touch is a heartbreaking idea; do I even need to go into what one would miss?

So it comes down to smell and hearing for me. But I’m having trouble deciding between them.

Think of all those smoky bars, those encounters with odiferous commuters, those polluted days in the city that one would be spared without smell...but then, imagine tasting a wine without the bouquet, or being unable to smell the skin of one's lover, fresh from a shower.

Without hearing, life would be peaceful. No power drills on the street, no honking buses, no screaming advertisements by blokes with first names like "Crazy". But then, imagine not being able to hear Nimrod, or someone's laughter, or the way a forest sounds after a heavy rainfall has eased and water is dripping onto sodden leaves.

So I don't know. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm getting this funny deja vu sort of feeling. Wait, that's a heart attack. But this is feeling awfully familiar.
~ian

02 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home