Thursday, September 21, 2006

You could hide under the bed, but the monsters might get you

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was critically injured on Wednesday after crashing in a jet-powered car while filming for the program, the BBC announced…Top Gear…were filming him trying to break the British land speed record.

Now look. Consider this a public service announcement.

If you have a job which involves doing risky and possibly fatal things: just stay home for a while, okay? Work in nuclear fission? Call in sick. Run a skydiving business? Take a sabbatical. If you’re an academic, stay out of the stacks, and writers should be on the look out for poison pen letters. In fact, unless your job is to sit around in a sealed house and talk endless drivel about yourself, a holiday would probably be in order.

Although actually, if Abu Bakar Bashir is right, even the Big Brother participants aren’t safe. So I guess there’s an upside to everything.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a bit taken aback by that news. I love top gear. James May is your typical uni chorister type. Clarkson's sense of humour is very strong but he's very tribal and I hate that. And Hammond's got a great impact too. It's a great show. With any luck he'll survive and become more notorious from it.

Tanya - give me a call some time - have crazy/exciting news, cowoh-style (have left my job to start a .com)

21 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly are you trying to say here, that noone should work dangerous jobs? Or is it something to do with this time of year when a few celebrities have died or been injured? I remember a waiter died a few months back when he got trapped in a dumb-waiter. Do you consider hospitality a dangerous occupation, should he have taken a sabbatical? How is a sick day supposed to help, which day do you choose to take off, how would you predict the day you might die at work? I just don't understand your point here.

22 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I think this was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

And, yes, hospitality is extremely dangerous. Just ask the front desk staff at the Auckland Hyatt who had to deal with me after I was locked out of my room last week.

~ian

22 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home