Monday, August 21, 2006

Meta

Okay, okay, you all hate moderation. I’ve turned it off again. However, I will still delete any comment that gives away personal information; I can’t edit comments without moderation turned on, so it’s delete or nothing. Here’s a good rule of thumb; assume I’m more protective of my privacy than you are. Thanks.

Other lessons learned from Friday: I got to confirm my suspicion that posting judgmental opinions about other people’s private lives is the best way to elicit comments. So tomorrow, please tune in for Polyamory: Sleeping Around Has Never Been So Acceptable.

I’ve been musing on internet content the past few days. In part this is because the circle of people reading this is widening, which is great but brings home the possibility that one day soon complete strangers will stumble upon me and be so smitten by my brilliance that they will avidly devour every post, pausing only to ring every friend and acquaintance they have and urge them to do the same.

Please note: I said possibility, not probability.

What I was actually thinking about in relation to this was posting responsibly and in particular adult content. Obviously I blog about adult themes to some extent already, but I try and stay away from gratuitous content (well, apart from that whole ten inch penis thing, but I swear that was in context). If I were a parent, I don’t think I’d have a problem with my kids reading about ‘adult themes’ in this context (and I acknowledge that the “if” in that sentence looms large). Added to which, your average thirteen-year-old, left alone with an internet connection and a box of tissues (sorry) is not going to come across my site (sorry again) in the first place.

But is there a line past which I should fear to cross? And if I do cross it, what do I do about that? Put up a banner warning of adult content?

The real reason I’m wondering about this is that I’m gearing up for National Novel Writing Month in November. This is the first year since 2002, when I first attempted (and won) NaNoWriMo, that I don't have exams in November, and so I'm excited to try again. Since there’s no way I can blog as well as meet that deadline, and I’m an attention junkie, I figured I’d post sections of the novel daily.

In its currently envisioned form, this novel includes some very explicit stuff. So much so that I’m not sure I’m going to have the guts to post it anyway. But if I don’t, I can’t post the rest of it, because it’ll make no sense. And to censor it…well, I’m in danger of claiming that the nude scene in the B movie is necessary to develop the character, here, but in this case, I am willing to make the argument that the point of the story is lost if the sections in question are not explicit.

I’m not leading anywhere with this, I'm just musing. I'll get back to posting the funny just as soon as I can manage it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did nanowrimo? Awesome!
~Ian

21 August, 2006  
Blogger tanya said...

I did. Back in the days before they had the ability to post one's novel, let alone in the pretty format yours is in. This year I want a pretty format of my very own.

22 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home